Pro-life speaker Bruce Coleman (Choices Of Life) spoke in our school this week, regarding the value of life and the Christian response to abortion. Several students expressed thanks for the informative and practical presentation, which also prompted me to do some research.
Some online statistics I gathered:
- Australia’s abortion rate is high in comparison to other developed nations.
- There are around 90,000 abortions in Australia each year, or two aborted lives for every five live births.
- There are 800 abortions each week in NSW.
- A woman seeking abortion is most likely to be aged in her 20s, single, childless, well educated and employed.
- The vast majority of abortions relate to convenience, not to medical purposes, rape or foetal deformities.
- According to one survey of around 4000 Australians, over 80% believed abortion is a right. In the same survey, over 75% of Australians with religious views supported the right to abortion. Even among evangelical Protestants surveyed, over 50% were pro-abortion. (2003 Australian Survey of Social Attitudes)
If you are pro-life, you are in the minority. If you actually participate in promoting the right to life, you belong to an even smaller minority. One thing is certain: it’s hard to face these statistics without wanting to do something.