Where Would Jesus go to Church?
- Maybe He would settle with the Pentecostals as Jesus was heavily into performing miracles and providing words of prophecy?
- Maybe He would align with the Catholics, as they are the most populous and global denomination?
- Maybe He would identify with the Baptists as he was baptized by immersion and refused to follow religious hierarchy?
- Maybe He would go with the Anglicans or Lutherans as they reformed their doctrine in response to errors throughout church history.
- Maybe He would attend a Street Church as Jesus was a homeless man and mixed with those who were down and out.
- Maybe He would not go to a church service at all?
- Maybe this is the wrong question?
But we do often contemplate such ideas.
The church is the bride of Christ. It is an organism, not an organization. You are the church. I love the way the Bible describes it. Where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I in the midst of them. Your bible study group, your Christian family members, they are all valid and legitimate expressions of church.
It is not wrong to have a church organization or to be a member of a denomination, but let’s keep it in Scriptural perspective. Organisational structures can be helpful to meet legal requirements for owning assets, etc. However, those entities are human structures to help facilitate our gatherings; they are not the church.
Once we grasp the pervasive nature of the Kingdom of God, we are truly liberated as God intended us to be. It allows for encouragement and accountability that includes but also goes beyond those who we sit next to on Sunday. It helps us move beyond the abuses that occur in individual organisational structures, because we realise that no pastor or denominational chief, has a monopoly on God’s church. It helps us to see that God’s Kingdom is not defined by a membership roll or bums on seats. Hell will not prevail against God’s Kingdom, because God’s Kingdom is His People – where ever they gather, where ever they live and whatever age they lived in.