I attended a Christian school in Sydney for the majority of my K-12 schooling years. Recently, someone asked me answer this question: “How do you know that you attended a Christian school?” I’ve thought through the question and in relation to my experience at the school I could answer it this way:
- The school name had a reference to Christian virtues and a denomination.
- The insignia I wore had Christian iconography on it.
- The staff members were (to my knowledge) all Christian and attending the same church.
- Class time included time for prayer, formal doctrine classes, and chapel time.
- There was a strong Christian ethos in the school.
- General classroom conversation could include elements relating to the Christian worldview.
- I had many faith-based conversations with my teachers and most of my friends attended church.
- There was a identifiable connection between faith and practice.
- There was a strong student behaviour code (this doesn’t necessarily have anything to do with it being a Christian school).