Of all the doctrines of Scripture, there is none quite so intriguing as the virgin birth. I mean, this is tabloid material!
- “Aliens Abduct Kevin Rudd”
- “Orphaned Elephant Raised by Porcupine”
- “Elvis Sighted in Paris”
- “Virgin Has Baby”
Incredible! … true.
Unbelievable! … true.
Beyond the bounds of reason! … true.
A kingpin reality of the gospel … absolutely true.
It was predicted thousands of years ago…
“A virgin (n. 1. a person, especially a young woman, who has had no sexual intercourse) shall conceive.”
It has never happened before and it will never happen again. God himself was born! He took on human flesh. He was 100% God and 100% man.
Why virgin birth?
My pastor pointed out that God could have done it another way.
- God could have taken on human flesh in heaven and then descended to earth but then we would struggle to believe that he was truly human.
- Or God could have been born to a human father and a human mother, but then we would struggle to believe that he was truly God.
The virgin birth solves both of these difficulties in the form of a mind-blowing miracle!
I hope you’ll take time this Christmas to remember the Christ who came to rescue fallen sinners. I hope you’ll see beyond the manger to the cross and the grave, and even beyond. He is alive and he is coming again, and next time his glory won’t be so subtle.
This week’s pickin’s
- Testimonies about the followers of the peaceful religion.
- When religion goes bad… in Australia. Be careful with the Bible friends. Be careful.
- This pastor thinks we need a theology of work. Hmm. Good thoughts.
- Every now and then, something makes the news that shouldn’t. Um, hello! Church discipline for unrepentant sin has been happening for two millenia!
“Keep yourselves in the love of God.” –Jude 1:21