“For he knows our frame;
he remembers that we are dust.” —Psalm 103:14
Times of difficulty and suffering remind us that we are frail.
1. We are spiritually frail. Those moments when we feel most strong and stable can be so close to those moments when we stumble and fail. We are prone to rebellion and idolatry. Our hearts are deceitful and wicked.
2. We are physically frail. There are a thousand dangers that could throw our health into chaos at any moment. It is only by the grace of God that our bodies continue to function effectively.
3. We are mentally frail. The human mind was not designed to know all there is to know. Nor was it designed to process every kind of stress and trauma in this world. It is only by God’s grace that we can think clearly and maintain a stability of mind.
4. We are emotionally frail. Our hearts are not as robust as we may think from the comfort of the armchair. When the losses mount quickly as in the case of Job, we are reminded how feeble and dependent we are emotionally.
The encouragement we find in this Psalm is that God knows. He remembers where we came from (dust) and he knows how frail we are. He doesn’t look on as an angry, frustrated parent, but as a loving parent who understands the weakness of his infant child.
God understands that we as his children are dependent on him. And he’s ok with that. And he intends to meet our needs because he cares for us.
So when you’re frustrated by your own frailty and dependence, remember, God is not. He knows. And he’s looking after you. As loving parents do.
“We do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathise with our weaknesses.” —Hebrews 4:15
A few links…
- Symphony of Scripture has thirty signs you might be Emergent.
- Recently deceased Updike unpublished poem “A shrug and tearless eyes; Will greet my overdue demise.” Poignant poetry.
- What could be the wackiest headline of the year so far, Clinically Depressed Poodle Mauls Former French President Chirac.
- Finally, we all know everyone from every theological point of view claims Spurgeon. I’ve always wondered if anyone living actually stood against him. Well, I finally found one. In fact, if you check out his home page, he “exposes” just about everyone I’ve ever heard of. lol Stay away from these kind of quacks.
And speaking of quacks. Here’s an amusing way to waste 3:10 of your life: a duck in a truck…